Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Aptitude Tests

Aptitude Tests: What are they all about?

Many employers use aptitude tests to see where a candidate's potential strengths lie and to discover if the position they are hiring for is a good fit for the applicant. Another use for aptitude tests are to help career searchers discover their own strengths and interests so that they can target the right career path.

I have been looking for a good free online aptitude test - I am certain there is one out there but today's web search was a bit disappointing.

I was able to find one that appeared to be "free" and promised to be quite detailed and thorough. The website was very professional looking, however I once I attempted to test it out to see if it was worth recommending, I decided it definitely wasn't.

There was a hidden catch of having to provide extensive personal information in order that the company could give (read sell) your information for marketing purposes. As soon as the "mandatory" information of birth date came up that was where I decided, as good as the ultimate product and resulting assessment might be, I wasn't about to use a product that required that much personal information just to use it. I personally wouldn't recommend using anything online that requires you to give your birth date or other highly personal information.

So I looked up some books, as an alternate low cost option, that will give you a chance to research your career aptitude on your own without risking your identity online. You could probably find them at the library but if you want to take the tests directly in the book it's probably better to invest in your own copy.

Test Your Own Job Aptitude: Exploring Your Career Potential, Revised Edition by Jim Barrett and Geoff Williams
Career Aptitude and Selection Tests by Jim Barrett
Discover What Your Best At by Linda Gale

Happy Testing!

No comments:

Post a Comment